Removing pubic hair
Some girls and women shave off part or all of their pubic hair. There is no need to remove the hair to keep the area clean. So, the decision to remove pubic hair often is just based on trends, which change over time.
Keep a few facts in mind:
- The pubic area is very sensitive. It can easily get irritated or infected.
- If you wax, be careful. Waxing works by pulling out the hair.
- If you shave, you can give yourself a painful cut.
- As shaved hair grows back, it can feel itchy and uncomfortable.
- If you decide to use a hair-removal cream, make sure it says it’s gentle enough for using in the pubic area.
- Don’t put on any product that could sting, like aftershave lotion. To help avoid irritation, don’t use products with added dyes or fragrances.
If you’ve got more questions about taking care of this sensitive area, talk with an adult you trust.
Content last reviewed October 13, 2010
Page last updated October 31, 2013