Skip Navigation

Main sections

Skip section navigation (navigation may have changed)

Section navigation logo

People who provide health care

HCP staff.

Caring for your health is an important part of growing up. If you notice changes that you are not sure are normal, ask one of your parents or a trusted adult to help you make an appointment with a doctor or other health care provider. Health care providers you can see include:

  • A pediatrician. This is a doctor who cares for children and teens. Some pediatricians have special training in reproductive health issues like problems with periods, but not all do.
  • A family practitioner or general practitioner. This is a doctor who does not focus on a specific medical specialty, but instead covers various medical areas in patients of all ages.
  • A gynecologist. A gynecologist is a doctor who focuses on women's reproductive health.
  • An adolescent specialist. This type of doctor specializes in caring for teenagers. Many adolescent medicine doctors can take care of your reproductive health in addition to your general health.
  • A nurse practitioner (NP). A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse with special training. If your clinic or doctor's office has an NP, he or she can do many of the things a doctor can and will work with the doctor if you need special tests or medicines.
  • A certified nurse midwife. This is a nurse who is trained to care for the general and gynecological health of women and their babies.


Content last reviewed October 13, 2010
Page last updated October 31, 2013

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health.