Links to more information on girls' fitness
Publications & websites
- 5 Simple Steps to Success – Creating a fitness plan doesn't have to be difficult. Here are a few ways to create a healthy lifestyle.
- BAM! Body and Mind: Physical Activity – This website has interactive tools to help teens increase their level of physical activity and establish fitness habits that will stay with them for life.
- Best Bones Forever! – This website offers interactive tools to help girls pick foods with calcium (like pizza!) for strong bones, great recipes, and tips on how to play lots of sports girls love.
- Exercise and bone health – Learn about bone problems that can happen if you exercise a lot but don't eat healthfully.
- Healthy eating for an active lifestyle [ PDF 474K] – ChooseMyPlate.gov offers helpful information on healthy eating. This factsheet offers 10 tips for eating well if you are physically active.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans – Every few years, the U.S. government has experts review the latest research on how physical activity helps health. Read the chapter about kids and teens to learn types of activities, benefits, and more.
- The President's Challenge – The Presidential Active Lifestyle Award challenge will help you add physical activity to your life and offers fun rewards.
- Tips for Teens with Diabetes: Be Active – This tip sheet has information about being active when living with diabetes to help manage your disease for a long and healthy life.
- Take Charge of Your Health: A Guide for Teenagers – This guide has recipes, physical activity tips, and other ideas for how to take charge of your health.
- Sisters Together: Celebrate the Beauty of Youth! – This fact sheet for young African-American women provides tips on nutrition and exercise as a way to feel healthy. It also tells you how to eat out and still be healthy.
- Are Steroids Worth the Risk? – Learn about steroids and what they can do to a girl's body from kidshealth.org.
- Choosing the Right Sport for You – From cheerleading to track, kidshealth.org has tips for figuring out what sport fits you.
- Dealing With Sports Injuries – This article from kidshealth.org covers injury topics from preventing problems to getting back in the game.
- Fitness – This cool website helps you learn more about exercise, nutrition, and your body. Take quizzes, read recipes, play games, and more!
- Fun Fitness (Copyright © Center for Young Women's Health) – Do you know the correct way to stretch and tone your muscles? Check out this site for more information on exercise.
- Pilates – Do you want to build your flexibility, strength, and coordination? Try Pilates.
- Sportsmanship – Find out what sportsmanship means and how to be a positive player in this article from kidshealth.org.
- Sports and Nutrition: Fueling Your Performance (Copyright © CYWH) – This article answers frequently asked questions by young women athletes about nutrition and fitness.
- Sports Physicals – Learn what to expect from a sports physical in this article from kidshealth.org.
- Sports Supplements – Wondering if sports supplements might help you? Read this article from kidshealth.org.
- T'ai Chi – Read this article from kidshealth.org about a martial art that is great for improving flexibility and strengthening your abs, arms, and more.
- When Being Overweight Is a Health Problem – Learn about the problem of obesity and how physical activity can help beat it in this article from kidshealth.org.
- Yoga – Yoga can calm your mood and boost your body. Learn more from kidshealth.org.
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Let's Move!
- Center for Young Women's Health
- Girls on the Run
- Kids Health
Content last reviewed March 27, 2015
Page last updated July 21, 2015